December 22, 2009

Things that happen for a reason

I know you have heard it before, I know you have experienced it before, when you wish what happened would not have happened but then you say this happened for a reason.

So, we set the alarm for 5:50am, we got up extra early (at least for a day off), got the kids ready, got all the bags in the truck, and headed off to the airport. Kris dropped me and the kids off at the front of Southwest baggage check-in at 7:00am and there I stood with two kids, three ginormous bags and a line that stretched a solid 50m (originally I put 75m, that's what it seemed like). I was thinking how in the heck do I get me and the kids and the bags in this line so we can get on the plane to Lubbock that departs at 8:15am?

One hour and fifteen minutes later, we were still in line. The nice guy at the counter says we can see if we can get re-booked on the next flight (at 10:50am), which goes to Dallas then onto Lubbock, arriving at 1:30pm. Kris and I look at each other then look at the guy, and say, "No thanks, we are going to drive." He looked at us like we were crazy, and to be honest, I thought we were crazy too!

We dragged our stuff out the front door of the airport and Kris ran and got the truck. We reloaded everything and I started making a list of stuff we needed to grab to make this 6 hour road trip a little more pleasant. We arrived at the house at 9:20am, grabbed drink cups for the kids, filled the water can, grab Sav's computer, Stone's truck, my Trigger Point (I know I will need it after this drive!) and a book that I have been meaning to reread for months. Bam, within 15 minutes we were on the road to Lubbock. I called my Dad to let him know we will arrive later than planned (he thought we were crazy, too) and away we flew. (Kris booked it.)

**point of this post**

The book I grabbed was Good To Great. Have you read it? How long has it been since you read it last? Reread it or read it for the first time. (Keep in mind that we each need to read certain books at certain times in our life, this may not be your time.) OMG, the blessing of the family missing the plane, I got to read for 4 hours! This would not have happened had we flown into Lubbock.

Kris looked at me and said, "I have not seen you read that much in a long time." I said, "I don't make the time to read like I should I need to change that." I wanted to say, "I don't have time to read." But, we know this is not true for any of us. Perhaps it is another activity for you. I need to read. I want to read. I need to make the time in my schedule to read.

I am glad we missed the flight. The book has me fired up! I am not sure what your plans are for 2010, but I know that I am going to rock it! (And yes this does include the Crossfit Video I will be choreographing.)

No comments: